Saturday, July 22, 2006

Another FAB evening

Joined FAB (the finance department's ad hoc softball team) last night, for one of their occasional softball games in Regent's Park. A few of us Loan Wolves were there, for the game and for the start of Kate's 30th birthday weekend. We were playing TNT, a team mostly comprised of South Africans from the estates management company. Their pitcher was a girl who'd played fastpitch in the US, so her pitches were flat and quick (and would often have been illegal in the league we play in), but this did mean that the ball went quickly off the bat when you made contact. Rules were loose and fluid, and the level of competitiveness varied between the different contingents. Our side won (the scorecards got lost, so I don't know what the result was), and I enjoyed baserunning, getting a few runs. A good change of pace from the formal matches, and a lot of fun.
Regent's Park looked lovely in the evening sunshine, and our game attracted a few casual spectators. It's funny, but I think going out and running around playing sport a couple of times during this heatwave has been better than staying indoors, wilting next to an electric fan. Psychologically, at least, knowing that the heat hasn't beaten you gives you a bit of a boost.
Went on to a succession of pubs in Camden afterwards. The Edinboro Castle was too packed to get served, next place (the Camden Mixer, I think) turfed us out on the stroke of eleven, and a few of us went on somewhere for one more after that. Good bar, but I can't remember what it was called.
Paul had got Kate a birthday present T shirt, with her "real men don't walk" pitching motto on it. We discussed variations on the theme for the rest of us. My suggestion for my one was; "real women dig scars".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hangover lasted well into the next day!

Andy said...

My head cleared somewhat during the long trip home to Crystal Palace. Got in at three, I think. Wasn't hung over next day, but did need a siesta after lunch.

Kate said...

It was a good night - it felt great to make a couple of good hits. I nearly had my hand taken off by a stop whilst playing 2nd, but it was all worth it for my first ever experience of being on a winning side.
Thanks to everyone who came, and thanks again to Paul for the t-shirt!

Manj said...

So sorry I couldn't make it to this game, Tiggers and hot weather just don't gel well...